Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Yikes...

You know what isn't conducive to a fitness routine? Excessive business travel. Since Feb 1st, I have been in Calgary for almost 4 days, and Vancouver for 3 days, leaving me at home for 3 days. I started out so well too, my first week was going great then my fitness train derailed. I know I have to kick myself back on track, but I find myself wiped out by the time I get home.

Let me illustrate... yesterday my Lego order came in (the Republic Fighter Tank). I have been scouring the stores for it since before Christmas, it has been Out of Stock on the Lego website since probably the 2nd day it was listed, I found it on Bricklink and ordered it last week. Well, I was so tired I only got about 40% of it done before Dawn pointed out that falling asleep while building Lego may not be productive.

Most of the time, the hotels have a fitness room. The photo below is of the "exercise room" at the Best Western in Coquitlam, BC. Yah, two stairmasters and an exercise bike from the late-70s/mid-80s. The picture doesn't really do it justice... the stairs go down to the first level, and I'm standing at the doors to the 2nd level hallway. It's like the maintenance guy got them up to the landing and decided he didn't want to take them any further.

Adding to the ambiance is the mirrored wall just outside the photo on the right, and the mirrored ceiling. Nothing says motivation like seeing your reflection as you collapse on the stairmaster. All the while trying to ignore the guests as they try to ignore you on the way to their rooms (if you're on the 2nd floor, you don't have a choice but to walk past).

"Mommy, why is that man crying?"
"Shh, it's rude to point, Timmy."

I figured it would be best to spare everyone the awkward moment. Anyhow, I know I need to get back in gear and get going. It doesn't get easier the longer I wait. I just need to make sure my hotel in Edmonton next week (3 nights) has a real fitness room...

2 comments:

Krista said...

this is me. not pointing at you like little Timmy.

I'd advert my eyes and pretend you weren't there. I'm all about tact.

mom said...

excuses, excuses, excuses, it's okay, we all do it. My bad self says"its too cold to go out to the shed", but then my good self says, MOVE and you wouldn't be cold, its such a struggle between good and bad