Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Happy Ending, Eventually

I received a response to the email I sent to National Rentals customer service, and they told me I had to phone a toll-free number because my email didn’t have enough information. I had to drive up to Calgary this morning, so I figured I’d call them while I was on the road. The story had a happy ending, but it was quite a ride getting there…

I phoned the number they gave me, which ended up being the tech support line. The guy answered the line and asked for my employee ID number. I said it probably wouldn’t help him since I’m not employed by his company.

“How did you get this number?”

“Customer service said I need to call here about comments I had submitted a few days ago.”

“What is your reservation confirmation number?”

“I’m driving and I don’t have it with me.” You’d think I’d be able to pull a number like 189272589 from my memory, but apparently not.

“Do you have your driver’s license?”

“Yes, hold on a sec…” It’s always fun trying to dig a wallet out of your front pocket while driving.

“Please hold.”

Before I could draw breath, there was a click followed by what could easily be classified as the worst hold music on the planet. I envisioned everyone waiting in line at some music counter, and apparently after all the elevators and dentist offices were done getting what they wanted, this was all that was left. To really get the full effect, try to imagine gathering together about ten of the people who show up to American Idol auditions in the hopes of being on TV for a few minutes knowing full well they can't sing. Now, put them in a recording studio and have them do covers of popular songs. And instead of having guitars & digital keyboards, give them xylophones and 4th grade recorders as backup. Then the duet with the chimpanzee playing the bagpipes...

After about five minutes of wanting to drive into on-coming traffic rather than listen to the hold music, he finally came back on the line to tell me he had someone from the customer service department on the line to help me. When he was satisfied I was in good hands, he left the call. I’m not sure how the phones work over there, but apparently everything runs through his phone extension. When he hung up, I got a dial-tone on my end too. Less than helpful.

I had to call the tech support line again, explain why I was calling tech support instead of customer service, and this time asked for the number for customer service in case I was disconnected again. He managed to transfer me to the right department without hanging up on me.

Long story short(er), customer service was very helpful. They gave me a credit on the difference between the Silverado and the evil Ranger, as well as a credit for the fuel being less-than-full. Honestly, I wasn’t expecting to have anything resolved. I guess previous experience with various customer service departments have left me bitter towards the whole process. And after all the hassle of being transferred to different departments and the fact that the customer service department didn’t even give me the right contact phone number, I thought for sure this train was going to derail. But hats off to (I wish I could remember his name), he resolved the issue promptly and was friendly about it.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Much better results than I got complaining the last time ... maybe next time I'll call too.