Friday, August 6, 2010

Is Nothing Sacred??

I was watching TV in my hotel room the other night when I saw a commercial which pushed a couple of my buttons. To be fair, some of them are bigger than others and are much easier to trigger.

I am a HUGE fan of ice cream. We usually have two 2.5 gallon pails in the freezer at all times. One is vanilla (for mixing, topping, milkshakes, etc.) and the other is flavored. While I have a few definite favorites (hmmmmmmm, tiger), I'm open to most flavors (just keep the raisins and bubblegum away from it). I have learned not to eat ice cream on my way to work because I will invariably spill it on my shirt, so I will intentionally schedule some of my trips around being able to stop for ice cream on my way home.

So you can imagine my horror when I saw the commercial for *gasp* Dairy Queen's new mini blizzards.


By the power of Greyskull, who was the over-paid marketing executive genius who came up with this?!?  A 6oz blizzard?!? It's half the size of the small cup. And it was only a couple of years ago when they scaled back the cup sizes, hoping no one would notice (like I'm not going to realize the large is suddenly in a medium cup). I was trying not to yell, or throw something, at the TV (don't shoot the messenger, right?) while holding back tears.

If they are so bent on ruining something, why not mess around with something that didn't single-handedly save their entire chain from extinction. Experiment with the hot dogs, the iron-grilled sandwiches, the salads, because heaven knows we aren't coming to DQ specifically for those gems. I've never heard anyone say, "Let's make a DQ run, I really want a salad!"

DQ is known for ice cream. Dilly bars, Peanut Buster Parfaits, and most of all, Blizzards. I am of the opinion that the current sizes were already too small. I miss the good ol' days when a large blizzard really was large. If you want to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the blizzard, give us a larger size, not a smaller one. This is the Texas of ice cream treats, don't mess with it!!

3 comments:

tren said...

Well, the new small size would be great for toddlers (unless you're like me and can't decide between two flavors, so you order one flavor for yourself and the other for your toddler, knowing she won't eat it all and you can "help" her with it). It would also be great for diabetics and dieters who just want a little treat without going overboard. But, I agree that they should also offer a Blizzard-saurus size for those who want more!

Unknown said...

I would agree if I wasn't so busy laughing. You're hilarious. I think I agree, I'm pretty sure I agree... I am forwarding this to everyone I know.

Mitch Miller said...

I personally love my Blizzards (big fan of the pumpkin pie one in Oct-Nov) but I can't really blame DQ....everytime a Fast Food chain comes out with a large, calorie filled "whatever" the media, goverments, and fitness crazies start raggining on that chain about how they are making American's fat and lazy. So, I can't blame DQ for trying to avoid all that hassel.