Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I Think I Have DMD

I've come to the conclusion I must have Decision-Making Disorder. I'm not even sure that's a recognized condition yet (probably isn't). On the bright side, they might end up naming it after me if I'm the first diagnosed patient.

I received a gift card for Christmas and spent an hour this evening wandering around the store, not able to make up my mind on anything. To put this in context, it's not like I got a card to the House of Tools or Ed's Vegetarian Emporium. No, I got a Best Buy card and still couldn't find anything. I love electronics, I'm never more than an arm's-reach away from a gadget. Be it an iPod, iPad, Blackberry, laptop... I always have something with me.

Small purchases have always been my week spot. I think I've spent more time standing in the aisle trying to decide which Star Wars Lego kit to buy than I did deciding to buy our house or the Ion/Aura/Equinox combined. Dawn seriously left me at the Lego aisle in Target once while she went to do her shopping, then came back after she was done and picked the sets for me because I was still standing there. I don't know why these little purchases become such a major-life decision, maybe it stems back to the newlywed days when we had to check our bank account balance before going to 7-11 for a slurpee.

So I wandered from one department to the next, trying to find something but to no avail. At first, the staff start asking, "Do you need a hand yet?" Then you start hearing announcements over the store speakers, "Security, check cameras in section C." Then I'd go over to Computers, "Security, check the cameras in section F." Until finally they give up trying to be sneaky and start announcing, "Security, that tall guy in the blue coat is over by the stereos now."

I'm not sure what the treatment is for DMD, if there is a treatment. Maybe I should've stuck it out and finished my Psych degree, then I could at least write a paper on it. Maybe apply for some study grants...

1 comment:

Barb said...

The really sad thing is I can totally picture this situation! I have been a witness to your DMD, but the good news is we still love you for it.