Sunday, September 18, 2011

Startling Revelations...

Remember back in March when I had my first go-round with kettlebells? It took a while, but I got back in the saddle. This time with a 12kg kettlebell (26.4lb for my American friends) and a program put together by Jesse. And I have to say this time is working out MUCH better.

So, what have I learned so far?

1. "I haven't" is not synonymous with "I can't"
For years, I thought these two were interchangeable. Turns out, not so much. I thought because I hadn't been able to follow an exercise plan, somehow maybe I couldn't. For the first time ever in my life, I can say "I'm on the third week of the program." Next week I'll be saying "I'm on week #4", and so on. And soon, I'll lose count because it's just a part of my lifestyle and not an exercise program.

2. "I can't now" doesn't mean "I never will"
Three weeks ago, if someone had asked me, "Do you think you'll be able to do a 24kg snatch?" I would've said something like, "Are you crazy??" Yesterday Jesse figured it was time I graduated to the 16kg (35.2lb) bell. Once I had done a few exercises, he said "OK". Let me jump in here and explain... When Jesse says "OK", it means "You think you're done, but now I'm going to make you do more." Sometimes it sounds remarkably like, "Let's see if this kills you."

He brought out a 20kg (44lb) and had me do a few more snatches. Then he said "OK" again and brought out the 24kg (52.8lb) and had me do a few more snatches. For those not familiar with snatches, here's a short video:

Yeah, doing those with 24kg. Sure, he makes it look easy, but it isn't. Didn't see that happening any time in my near future, but I did it (only twice on each arm, but it still counts).

3. I actually enjoy workouts.
Really! Last week was probably the most hectic I've had in a long time, and Wednesday was the worst of the week. I spent most of the day holding onto the thought that if I just get through, I can go back to the hotel room and do my workout. I stumbled in after a 14hr+ work day and did my exercises and it felt great.

4. It's not about the pounds or inches anymore
When I started three weeks ago, I took my measurements and weighed myself so I could see how far I have come when I reach week 6. Now, those week 6 numbers are more of a curiosity than a goal. I don't care if nothing has changed on paper because everything has changed in my head. I feel so much better, I'll keep going regardless of what the scale or measuring tape have to say. They don't get to vote anymore...

2 comments:

Barb said...

crying to hard to write......so excited about your life.

Jesse Salmon said...

You are doing so well Gary. My favorite part is that after a 14+ hour day you LOOK FORWARD to the workout in the evening. You have arrived at a good place my friend. Welcome! Regardless of the scale figures as you progress from week to week and find yourself lifting heavier weights for longer reps you will develop cable-like strength. As Dr. Seuss says, "Congratulations! Today is your day. You're off to Great Places! You're off and away!"