Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Small Serving...

...of crow.

It all started when I saw the video from Jon Schmidt and Steven Sharp Nelson posted on facebook. I've said it before, I'm a sucker for a good piano, and this is some good piano with excellent cello accompaniment. And then when Jon's daughter Sarah comes out and sings at the end... wow, let the melting begin.


I didn't know this was a Faith Hill song. I've never seen the Grinch movie, and you may not have noticed from previous posts, but I don't spend a lot of time on the country music stations. It might have been sleep deprivation which contributed to my decision to look up the Faith Hill version, or it may have been morbid curiosity. I'm not quite sure. I don't spend a lot of time looking up country music on YouTube either...

So, it is with no small amount of reluctance I am compelled to admit that is a good song. At the same time, I'm going on record to say it bears very little resemblance to country music, so I may get to have a little gravy along with my side of crow (everything is better with gravy). The instrumental version was moving by itself, but Faith's vocals and the lyrics really did it for me. It met all my criteria: good voice (check), non-objectionable lyrics (check), moving music &/or message (check, and check), complete absence of warbling or twang (check).

Don't get too excited though, I'm not ready to consider the possibility that there may be other country songs worth hearing...

1 comment:

Scott said...

I concur Gary.
Great song - no Country music.