Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Couple of Chuckles...

We had a planned power outage on Sunday, which meant going to church at 8AM instead of 9. If it weren't for the fact we had kids in the primary presentation, I'm pretty sure the power would've mysteriously gone off at our house some time during the night, rendering all the alarm clocks useless. The one redeeming feature was that we were back home by 9:30.

I decided to curl back up in my bed, covered in four blankets (equivalent to 6 because two of them are folded in half... Dawn doesn't appreciate lots of blankets like I do). Dawn was in her recliner in the "sitting room" watching Animal Planet while I was sleeping. Never go to sleep while someone is watching Animal Planet.

I drifted off to slumber during a captivating documentary on Buddhist monks trying to protect their Asian honeybees from giant hornets. Quite interesting. Thirty of these hornets were able to kill a hive of 30,000 European bees in just under 3 hours. The Asian bees have a higher heat tolerance than the hornet, so when the scout invaded the hive, the Asian bees simply smothered it, raising the hornet's body temperature until it cooked. I drifted off to sleep somewhere after that, and for the life of me can't figure out why I still retain that trivial tidbit.

As I was somewhere between dead-to-the-world and dreaming, I could hear the narrator talking about sedating three of them for study. He described how the researchers were loading their tranquilizer guns and were waiting in position. I don't know why my brain decided that was the moment to receive audio input from the outside world, because it was very vexing trying to figure out how these researchers were going to use dart guns on the hornets. Granted, they were bigger than normal, but still... you have to be a really good shot to hit one with a dart gun. The narrator went on for what seemed like minutes before he said anything about these three specimens being elephants. Apparently I was asleep longer than I thought.

In other humorous news, about a week ago (roughly), Rhys (5yrs) was doing something he knew he wasn't supposed to be doing. Dawn told him if he kept doing it, he'd get a spanking.

Rhys thought for a second and replied, "That seems fair."

No comments: