Thursday, October 22, 2009

Stupid Tech Support

On Sunday morning I found out I had a problem with my router, so I called the Telus tech support line. "Due to a higher than normal call volume, your wait time is expected to be... Thirty... Five... minutes" (if you are always on hold for at least 30 minutes, wouldn't that be a normal call volume?). I was about ready to strangle someone. Not because I was on hold for so long, but because of their stupid recurring message announcement. Every 3-4 minutes some lady's voice comes on to say I could avoid long hold times by checking out the tech support section on the Telus website. I really believe this is the sort of idiocy that pushes otherwise normal people into becoming serial killers. If I could connect to the internet to review the tech support materials you have so conveniently posted online, I wouldn't be calling!! Telus is the flaming service provider, people don't call the tech support line just to chat with the friendly customer service agent on the other end. We phone because we can't get onto the internet.

It didn't help my frustration level when Joe Helpful starts talking to me like I've never seen a computer before (I shouldn't complain too loudly, at least he spoke English). Let me tell you what I've done so far, Sparky. I used the command prompt in Windows to release and renew my IP address, didn't work. I unplugged the router and connected the computer straight to an old DSL modem and the internet works. Unfortunately I have three other computers in the house which need the internet as well.

Einstein has me turn off the router for about 30 seconds, then turn it back on to see if that works. Nope.

Then the genius tells me that it must be a problem with my computer. I remind him if that were the case, the other 3 computers connected to the router wouldn't be having the same problem.

I have to check the status board to see if there are any problems on this end. It should only take 15 minutes, and I'll phone you back.

Thirty minutes later...

Hmmm, we'll have to send you out a new modem.

I have an extra one right here, and I STILL get the same problem. So, either you sent me two defective modems (in retrospect, not that far out of the realm of possibility... this is Telus after all) or the problem might be on your end somewhere.

If the new one doesn't work, we'll have to send out a technician.

Oh good, it's not like I need the internet at all. I only live about 2.5 hours away from my office and need use the internet to connect to the shared office network, not to mention all the business email. You'll have to forgive me if I'm not overly thrilled about being down for "3-4 open business days".

And they wonder why I get cranky when Telus calls to see if I want to subscribe to digital TV. I have an idea, why don't you get your phone/internet departments working properly before you start branching out into other areas... just throwing it out there.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Ummm, new modem got here...seems to be working so far=)

Dan said...

Dude, I don't see a problem here. Why are you so grouchy? Maybe you need to get on the internet and go to some anger management websites. Oh wait... :)