Sunday, November 1, 2009

Stupid Time Change

I want to know what it is about children that keeps them from sleeping in when they have the opportunity. On school days, it takes the jaws of life and a defibrilator to get them out of bed and moving in the mornings. On weekends, they're up before 6:00 watching TV, which apparently they can't do quietly either.

"I don't want to watch that!"
"Sit down! I can't see the TV!"
"...you get the BEST OF BOTH WORLDS..."

It's not like the good old days when the best cartoons were on Saturday morning. No, they're getting up to watch reruns they've already seen repeatedly (it's a bad sign when I can tell an episode of Hannah Montana, Zoey 101, Zach & Cody, etc. is a rerun).

I don't think I've ever been able to cash in on this fabled "extra hour of sleep" people associate with the time change. I thought for sure after dragging their sorry hides trick-or-treating last night, having to carry two of them in from the van because they were so tired, then forcing them to stay awake while we do rushed showers, they would naturally want to get more sleep. Apparently, that's what I get for doing my own thinking. I heard them up and wandering around at 5:00, then at 5:30 I finally got up to threaten them with bodily harm and sale to wandering gypsies if they couldn't manage to be quiet. There's something about getting up to beat on the children that makes it difficult for me to go back to sleep...

1 comment:

lauralquinton said...

you know, I feel the same way, and my kids do the exact same thing. But this morning, my body woke up at "6:30" and when I looked at the clock and it said 5:30 I was thanking the gods for whoever created the blasted time change.