Thursday, June 2, 2011

Rocket Science

I really enjoy going to 5 Guys Burgers and Fries. They specialize in two of my favorite foods: burgers, and lots. I tried the regular burger (double patty) on my first visit and found it to be too much, so now I just order the "little" ones (single patty) and still have yet to finish my fries. If you make the mistake of going there during the lunch hour, be prepared to wait in line as it is a popular spot.

Part of the overall experience for me is watching the people while I eat. Not the people in line, those waiting for their food, or those sitting at their tables eating. No, those aren't the fun ones. My favorites are the semi-literate.

If you're not in a hurry one day, sit at a table with a good, unencumbered view of the doors. I guarantee, if you're into people watching, you'll not be disappointed. It may take a few minutes before your first sighting, but if the line is small enough you'll spot someone coming in through the exit door. It's not like these puppies aren't clearly marked with "ENTER" and "EXIT", au contraire.

As you enter, the door on your left is nicely marked "Enter Here".

To your right, you'll find the door marked "Exit Only".

I find it fascinating how many people will use the door marked "Exit", then stand in the middle of the seating area wondering just how to get in the line to order. One perplexed potential patron kept going towards the line, then stopping and going back towards the exit only to stop and go back towards the line. He did this two or three times before finally deciding it was okay to use the exit door as an exit (crazy idea, I know). Some will get upset, not at themselves, but somehow at the restaurant or staff. They'll shoot off a nasty glare towards the staff at the counter before turning around and going out. Sure, like it's their fault you can't read. How do you manage to order off the menu if you can't read the door??

I guess if 5 Guys really wanted to make it idiot-proof, they could just take the handle off the enter-side of the exit door, but where's the fun in that?

1 comment:

Jenie said...

A great laugh to start the day. Thanks.