Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Just Call Me Scrooge

I don't know if I've mentioned this lately, but I HATE what gets passed off as Christmas music. In my book, it ranks with the likes of country, rap, heavy metal, and cats in the blender. I would rather listen to the musical stylings of Laurence Welk covering top 40 pop hits or a chimpanzee orchestra than to the vast majority of the nauseating Christmas drivel.

Before everyone runs to grab their torch and pitch fork, let me explain myself. There are Christmas songs I could happily hear all year long, like "O Holy Night", "Angels We Have Heard on High", "Silent Night", Handel's Messiah... They carry a special feeling and power that is not easily matched.

Contrast those with the current 'favorites'. I cannot for love or money figure out what "Winter Wonderland" or "Jingle Bells" has to do with Christmas. I guess it is just assumed that winter and snow are synonymous with Christmas. Those living in Southern Alberta know that a white Christmas is an exception rather than a rule. "Frosty the Snowman" has as much to do with Christmas as Bill Gates does with the iPod.

By far, the vast majority of these Christmas carols really irritate me. Why? Because it really frosts my hide that so many songs which don't even pretend to mention anything about Christmas have become so closely tied to it. To me, it is symptomatic of how badly Christmas is being "diluted" so as not to make any religious references. Heaven forbid that a holiday with such blatant Christian roots and origins be made to seem religious. It's a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, but it seems we're not allowed to say that anymore.

Christmas used to be a time of "goodwill to men", not the commercial-crazed materialistic frenzy it is now. For example, the media was quick to point out that this year, unlike the previous years, no one was trampled to death during Black Friday sales. Really?! That's the new standard we're using?? Police were called in at around 2:30 AM to a Walmart in California (which was temporarily closed due to fighting between customers), a Toys R Us in Connecticut where customers tried to force their way in before the scheduled opening at midnight... but hey, no one was killed so we're still calling it a success.

Anyhow, back at the ranch... I know things aren't likely to improve any time soon. Society as a whole isn't likely going to refocus the "holiday season" on the birth in Bethlehem. All I can do is hold my own ground and hopefully help my children realize there is more to Christmas than reindeer, candy canes, and full-contact gift shopping.

"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." (Luke 2:11)

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I'm beginning to think that it isn't a coincidence that you're gone most of December=) Considering at home I play music that is both country AND Christmas...

Karyn H said...

"Frosts my hide" - hahaha! I love it. I agree with your sentiments, the reverence and awe of the occasion are all but gone. It has become a sugar-candied affair that lacks substance and divinity.Like you, I also try to hold my ground by sharing and teaching the JOY of the occasion to my family. And, at times, have to pull myself up when I become mesmerized by the pomp. Good blog dude. Have a Merry CHRISTmas.
2 Corinthians 9:15
Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift.