Friday, June 20, 2008

Heart Failure (almost)

So, we got a copy of "The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer" and after the initial shock, it's turning out to be a good book.

Lemme 'splain... no, there is too much. Lemme sum up...

Page 2 of the intro has the training schedule, and Day 1 is listed as '3'. Three what? Well, three miles... 3 miles on Day 1?! They're trying to kill me and I haven't even started yet! I'll just take my cell phone with me, dial 9-1 just to get a head start and keep my finger ready to dial the last 1 as I start to get dizzy and pass out. On the bright side, I'll probably still be in the back yard at that point, so it'll be easy for the paramedics to find me. Heck, they could probably plug their defibrillators into the outside wall outlet and still reach me.

Fortunately I kept reading. On Page 9 they give you the 10-week preliminary training program to get you to the point where you can run 3 miles. I'm all about prequels coming out after the original series, but in this case it would not have killed them to mention the preliminary training first.

Basically, they start you out walking a 17-20 minute mile (which I could probably still do, I have long legs), then 13-16 minutes. Then you jog for 5 minutes, fast walk for 5 (for 30 minutes) and work your way up to running for 30 minutes. That doesn't sound quite as shocking as starting off with a 3 mile run on Day 1.

The book says to pick a marathon no later than 5 months from your starting point. Since I really have no desire to run 26.2 miles in November (unless of course it's in the Caribbean), I'm taking the liberty of stretching out the training schedule. The nagging voice inside me is starting to get excited about running, so I need to get on this band wagon right away.

While I work on the preliminary training schedule, I will work on incorporating the stretching and supplemental exercises (weights, etc). Again, this is part of the book that could've been addressed at the beginning. The stretches aren't introduced until week 4 and the other exercises don't come up until week 8. Honestly, I'm more afraid of the stretching than anything else. Some of you may not know this about me, but I don't bend. I don't remember ever being able to touch my toes without bending my knees. Not even a fuzzy childhood recollection.

Anyhow, there it is. I'm committing myself to running a marathon next year.

2 comments:

Jenie said...

The more you mention it the more I get excited about having a goal, and a scheduled outline to help me reach the goal. I'm going to have to get the book.

Krista said...

It's a great book, though I agree with Gary - they could have/should have organized it a little better to reduce the shock factor.