Monday, June 23, 2008

It didn't kill me!!

Woohoo! My first workout as part of the preliminary marathon training program. I actually packed a workout bag for my trip this time so I wouldn't have any excuses. I spent 31 minutes on the hotel treadmill tonight and walked (mostly) 1.92 miles. That's well within the target range for the preliminary training schedule. I even managed to get some actual jogging in for a while too.

I know it's not as good as the "real thing", but there are some nice perks to the treadmill. I can gradually increase my speed until I get to my target range (4.5 mph). Once I felt comfortable there, I bumped it up to 5 for some jogging. I only made it about 0.1 - 0.2 miles at that pace, but it's a start. That's more than I did yesterday. Aside from the fact that I looked like I'd been in a waterfight as I went back upstairs to my room, it really felt good.

The book is really big on keeping a reasonable training pace to avoid injury, so I'll keep focusing on walking interspersed with a few minutes of jogging and gradually work up from there. I have 10 weeks before I tackle the 3-mile run.

1 comment: