Sunday, June 8, 2008

I must be crazy...

I can't believe I'm actually considering this, I think my sanity may be in question here. I know some of you think I'm nuts already, so this could just be the conclusive evidence you were waiting for. .

I've been making fun of joggers/runners for a long time now. I've had a hard time grasping the motivation behind the desire to get out and just run for the sake of running. Not to run to or from anything, but just to run. I think most of us can safely say that society has evolved to the point where our lives no longer depend on our ability to outrun whatever wild animal is chasing us. Even then, let's face it... when we measure our top speeds in terms of a 4-minute mile, it's not going to make a difference against a predator that can do upwards of 30 mph.

Don't get me wrong, I've always admired those who are good (or even consistent) at running. Becka ran 20KM before coming out to branding last week. I don't know if I've run 20KM combined in my lifetime. Krista says she's been running. Our friends Barb & Jesse are both getting into it, which may end up being my final push over the edge. They're even talking about a marathon in Idaho next year. They recommended the book "The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer" by David Whitsett, so I'll have to get a copy and check it out. Let's face it, I'm a non-runner. No one has ever stopped me on the street to ask if I go jogging, or "didn't I see you running the other day?".

It's just one of those things that has always been quietly nagging me and thus far has been rather easy to ignore. I know there are many benefits to running, and I really need to have more activity in my lifestyle. I don't know if I'd ever tackle a marathon, but I do need to get out and do something more often. On the other hand, how cool would it be to actually finish a marathon... or a half-marathon... or to go from the couch to the fridge without getting winded.

2 comments:

Krista said...

The sense of accomplishment when you finish your first 5k without breaking a sweat ... or at least realize you could have gone further will far out strip your resistance to the sport. I'm not saying you have to go all crazy like Becks (yeah, she's certifiable for sure...) But a few miles a day, it feels gooood. Trust me ;)

Jenie said...

I know just how you feel. There is part of me that thinks running is something I should do but there is also a big part of me that's thinks running is a crazy idea.